Caribbean Ideas Limited is on a mission to help Caribbean people and organizations become more globally competitive and influential. We’re currently pursuing this mission by expanding into a holding company that will operate subsidiaries across marketing & advertising, training & education, owned content, and beyond.
Our advertising agency, Caribbean Ideas Synapse, is one of the fastest growing advertising agencies in Trinidad & Tobago. In 2018 we began an evolution to create a unique competency in cross-channel, integrated marketing, after operating 8 years as a digital agency.
Our agency seeks to solve sales and marketing problems by connecting blending left-brain marketing (digital, strategy, analytics) and right-brain marketing (creativity, design, inspiration).
Our new businesses extend the Caribbean Ideas portfolio into new areas, while still maintaining our historical focus in achieving our mission by leaning into modern digital technologies, particularly web, mobile and social media.
As we pursue this ambitious evolution, we have been adding superior talent to our team-oriented environment and are currently looking for a senior leader to partner closely with the company’s founders and leadership across the portfolio companies to help operationalize company strategy by driving efficiency, productivity and operational rigour across a range of key business functions including but not necessarily limited to finance, people & HR, agency and other subsidiary operations, analytics & business operations rhythm.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this role you will collaborate closely with leadership and team-members within the Synapse agency and across subsidiary companies as needed.
You will have a demonstrated track record of collaborating effectively across all levels within a company, as in this role you will work closely with our company founders, (Our Group Chairman plus our company Director and Managing Director / CEO of our advertising agency) leadership across the group companies and our team of high-performing professionals.
You will also play an important role in the expansion of the company, helping to set and implement financial management, strategy, discipline and rigour.
As our Finance Director you will be responsible for the coordination and leadership of the functions of the Finance department, operating in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. This position is ideal for a strong, detail-oriented professional who has executive presence and communication skills, combined with a drive for results and can-do mindset.
In this role you will be responsible for the timely preparation of financial statements, generating forecasts and analysis of the organization’s business trends for regular presentation to the CEO and company directors. Your contributions will directly impact the efficient running of the company, and the ongoing strategic decision-making processes required to maximize the financial potential of the agency.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Review and analyze internal operations across subsidiaries and identify areas of process and operational enhancement
- Develop actionable business strategies and tactical operating plans that ensure alignment with short and long-term objectives in tandem with overall group executives and individual subsidiary leaders
- Own end-to-end the company’s financial business rhythm and reporting process, collaborating with key leaders to develop a consistent operational drumbeat that ensures effective execution and appropriate reporting and visibility for company leadership
- Conduct financial analyses and benchmark studies as required, and provide strategic recommendations to support achieving key company objectives
Finance Operations / Revenue Leadership
- Directly oversee company finance operations and accounting including effective management of capital investment, revenues and expenses to ensure the company achieves investor targets related to growth and profitability, while also meeting all required company obligations (regulatory, legal, tax, other)
- Deliver monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports against plan
- Monitor cross-group financial performance, establishing either directly or via collaboration, the key measures of success.
- Manage company’s cash flow
- Establish and oversee compliance with internal controls
- Ensure your team is preparing estimates and client invoices in a timely manner
- Demonstrating / building a deep understanding of advertising agency finances, key metrics and ratios based on available resources
- Oversee the development of annual audited financials in collaboration with audit partners
- Contribute to long-range financial planning for the business
- Oversee the work of external accounting and payroll partners
- Using various accounting, finance or productivity software, especially QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and, Outlook.
- Collaborate with executives and management to develop accurate forecasts
- Develops financial well-being of the organization by providing financial projections and accounting services, preparing growth plans, and directing finance team.
- Monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Maximizes return on invested funds by identifying investment opportunities
The right leader will deliver on this mandate while ensuring compliance, good governance and continuous development of an inclusive, positive company culture that sets our organization apart.
To succeed in this role, you will need to blend a variety of competencies including strategy, analysis, operational excellence, accounting/finance and people skills. You’re joining a small company with big ambitions, which means you will best succeed with a “lean startup” orientation, a willingness to roll up your sleeves and do the work alongside your team, excellent prioritization and an orientation around effectively scaling companies from private to potentially public.
You will have comfort regularly reporting to company leadership and board members as required on progress against key objectives displaying high levels of corporate accountability. As well as familiarity group financial accounting and consolidated accounts across multiple subsidiaries.
Last but not least, you will strongly embody the company’s values of being positive, solution-oriented, empathetic, and inclusive, continually showcasing the emotional intelligence required to manage and motivate internal and external creative and marketing professionals.
About you / Your Key Attributes:
Along with drive for results, inventiveness, agility, empathy and straightforwardness, your previous experience and attributes will include:
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience in an accounting role for a comparable entrepreneurial organization or relevant larger corporation. Preference given to individuals with experience in agency or service-based organizations
- Minimum of 7 years in a senior accountant role for a comparable entrepreneurial organization or relevant larger corporation. Preference given to individuals with experience in agency or service-based organizations
- Full ACCA qualification preferred
- Excellent communication skills – verbal (great presentation skills) and written (editorial content)
- Strong analytical and creative thinking skills with strong ability to generate insights, and understand competitive analysis
- Experience managing and executing cross-functional and complicated projects from start to finish and ability to drive results
- Experience implementing and managing company business rhythms and performance monitoring
- Strong Financial Leadership and acumen
- Team player attitude with track record of collaborating effectively across functions
- Strategic planning
- Public company finance / accounting leadership experience a plus
- Managing governance processes (board, other) a plus
- Experience with group financial accounting and consolidated accounts across multiple subsidiaries a plus
- Proficient in working with cloud tools across project management, finance, data and reporting, including digital advertising, social media and analytics software and tools
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, team-oriented environment with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously